Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pie Crust Fail

In my quest to fulfill all my junk food needs by making it all myself, I bake apple pie. I love an apple pie. I like the smell of warm buttery apples baking. I adore that spoogie syrup that forms as the brown sugar, apple juice and spices meld together. I especially love the under crust that has soaked up the pie syrup and become its own entity.

Damn it, I'm drooling now just thinking about it! The problem is that I haven't perfected the ingredients yet and my crust making technique is pathetic. I don't own a food processor. I use a pastry blender by hand (pastry cutter?) It looks like a handle with curved wires looping across. If you held it sideways it would make the letter D. Real bakers know what I'm babbling about.

Anyhoo, I just don't have the knack yet. My learning curve for pie crust is weak. I did a decent job on the filling. Go ahead and picture me gutting the pie slice and leaving the wooden crust empty. It was a little bland though.

I knew instinctively that there should have been more sugar. I knew it and didn't follow my gut. Bland pie. Husband isn't a fan of the apple pie persuasion. He is a chocolate ice cream kind of guy. He eats the pie if nothing else jumps at him in the kitchen. He never complains or criticizes. He is genius that way. He only agrees with me if I say it first.

" I prefer it a little sweeter." I mentioned.
" Yeah, I like that syrupy stuff to kind of slide out." He admits.

For a moment I consider pouring maple syrup on the pie. I stop myself and accept that this pie is sub par. Somewhere there is an Amish Tween who can out bake and out crust me in her sleep. ( Probably because she has more experience and the genetics that comes from generations of expert pie baking genes.) I didn't get that gene.

I got the craving for pie but not the crust making ability. (Yet.) Store bought pie still kicks my pie's butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment