Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happiness isn't a Destination

Happiness next exit. Not! Happiness isn't a destination it is the occasional wind that fills your sails. Refusing to be happy is like refusing to tack your boat to catch the wind. Sometimes you line up with it and the ride is exhilarating. Sometimes you just can't seem to trim your sails right and it passes you by or worse, is so powerful that it overwhelms you.

He who as never been overwhelmed by happiness has not been reclining in the grass when a litter of golden retriever puppies attempts to lick your ears to pieces. You can be overwhelmed by happiness.I was, at a chocolate buffet once. My knees buckled at the sight.I once made sweet and sour lemon chicken for my son. He was overwhelmed by happiness. It isn't often you see a 17 year old boy squeal and hop up and down.

I guess I spent most of my life trying to hunt down and kill Happiness so I could nail it like a trophy to my wall and have it forever. I kept thinking of happiness as a concrete thing that , once trapped, could be held on to. I'm beginning to realize that happiness is an emotional energy.

Now if I can just figure out how to trim the sails I could enjoy this ride even more...

No comments:

Post a Comment