Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fishing for Fun

Finally! Today after a year of talking about it, fantasizing about it and occasionally watching boring fishing shows on TV, I bought my very first fishing rod and reel.

I have been fishing before, with other peoples gear and even accidentally caught a Bass by the fin as it was swimming by. I also had my own Hawaiian sling when I still lived in the islands. I got one for me and one for my son so I could teach him how to spear fish.

It was a Mom thing at the time, I wanted to make sure he could catch fish and feed himself in the future. Primal but true.

This time I was buying a Caucasian style fishing pole to fish for fun. For Fun! What a concept. fishing was for dinner, plain and simple where I grew up. Now as I looked about me for entertainment I decided I should learn to fish with a pole. ( Those lakes I go camping at are to muddy to see in anyways so the spear wouldn't work.)

What I really wanted was a pink Barbie pole and tackle set like they have around Christmas time. Alas, there was only Spiderman and Hubby in his wisdom steered me toward a rod/reel set up with tackle kit and instructions on the back.

Armed with my new found treasure I waited at the Walmart customer service desk to get a fishing license...Fast forward another 30 minutes trying to track down someone in the sporting goods department and I had my permission slip from the government of Oklahoma to kill fish for a year!

Now I am going to practice casting from the couch in the TV room and wait for the next camping trip.

Hubby asked me what I was going to do with the fish if I caught it? I said I was gonna eat it! Hell yes I'm going to eat it. I will probably catch and release anything too small to eat but I was raised running on the beach after crabs and fishing with a spear and net to have dinner and I just can't seem to give that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment